Serves 8. Ingredients:
1) Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the base of a 20cm round cake tin with lightly buttered baking paper.
2) Place the eggs, caster sugar and olive oil in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Fold through the yoghurt, then the vanilla, figs and walnuts.
3) Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cook on the middle shelf of the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Run a knife inside the edge of the tin and carefully turn the cake onto a wire rack and stand until cooled completely.
4) To make the icing, using an electric mixer, beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
5) When the cake has cooled, spread the icing on top of the cake. If you want to lift the richness of the fig and walnut cake, replace the cream with whipped mascarpone. It’s totally over the top and lush. Additionally, a nice spicy cinnamon syrup would work well here.
Like it? Share it!